Tuesday, February 26, 2008

American Idol

So, if you are anything like me, and apparently 90% of America, you get caught up in the drama of reality television at least a little bit every now and then. I don’t really watch that much TV, so when I do, it’s shows I really find interesting and entertaining. More recently I have been watching American Idol and the fan base that seems to flock to it. It’s quite remarkable that our public is enamored by these kids who can sing…and spend nearly 6 hours a week (during the weeks narrowing down to the final 12) watching them so intently we know what shoes they wore. I, myself, am one of these addicted. Yes, sad, I know. Part of it for me, maybe most of it, is the music that draws me in. I love hearing what they choose, how they arrange it, seeing whether they play an instrument or not, etc. The other 30% is the contestants – their stories, their lives, their road to Idol, their personalities, etc. All in all it’s a very people-oriented show with lots of entertainment value. My point…what is my point, really? I don’t know that I really have one, other than that it amazes me we can be drawn in, sucked in, to a television show about teens who are trying to make it in the music industry and waste so many hours of our “busy” weeks instead of spending time with the ONE who created those individuals and gave them the voices they have.

I guess in all this maybe I was a bit convicted for 1) not using my own gifts as often as I should and 2) wasting time not seeking Him and instead watching these kids (who yes, are entertaining, but who do not add any value to my life other than a few moments of entertainment). Regardless, I do have favorites, and I’ll continue to watch the show, but I’m committing to DVR it rather than spend 2 straight hours a night sitting there watching it pass by. At least I have convinced myself it will save a few minutes of my time for me to spend elsewhere…perhaps writing this. But I hope it makes me think a little bit more about how I can use my gifts, explore the talents God has placed in me, and a little less about how much less I am compared to so and so who can sing like a dream. I wonder what will be uncovered in my own life. I don’t know, but I’m anxious to find out.

And after all this…what contestant do you think will win? I have my favorites, and I have my not so favorites. It will be interesting to see the dynamic unfold.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment